Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Emulsion Transfer Process - A Special Artist's Portfolio

[gallery type="rectangular" columns="2" ids="2362,2359,2364,2363,2361,2360,2358"]

Once upon a time in a land before digital photography there was this material called polaroid. The perfect media to create emulsion transfers.

Just the other week I saw a post on Facebook by, Hannah Rosenberg, an artist I had worked with in the mid the 90's. She had found in storage a metal portfolio using emulsion transfers we had created. I photographed the wire metal sculpture chairs with a 4 x 5 Speed Graphic, which I still have and use. I shot using Type 59 polaroid, if my memory serves me correct. Then we took the 4 x 5 polaroids and transferred the polaroid emulsion onto metal sheets which then Hannah bound together to make a metal portfolio. The transfer process worked beautifully to highlight and emphasize these unique miniature chair sculptures. I'm amazed at how well the transfers have held up over the years.

Hannah Rosenberg is a highly multi talented artist. Hannah has always had a love of creating “something from nothing” and working with her hands. Her first love was creating artwork from a variety of media.

Click here for more info about sculptures by Hannah Rosenberg.

Here is a step-by-step tutorial video showing the emulsion transfer process. Quite easy to do. This video was created also in the mid 90's. It would have been cool if they placed a sound track from A-Ha in the background. Hope you enjoy and get inspired to create your own works of art.

No comments:

Post a Comment